Ex-MP Zainul To Helm SPH's Radio Stations (ST)

BackSep 01, 2011

Former senior minister of state now chairman of SPH UnionWorks

MR ZAINUL Abidin Rasheed will be tuning in to a new task.

The former senior minister of state for foreign affairs will be the new chairman of SPH UnionWorks – owned by Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) – which operates two radio stations: 91.3FM, an English station, and 100.3FM, a Chinese station.

Mr Zainul, 63, takes over the helm from Mr Patrick Daniel, editor-in-chief of SPH's English and Malay Newspapers Division. Mr Daniel, 57, remains as a director on the board, said media company SPH yesterday.

The change takes effect today.

SPH UnionWorks is a joint venture between SPH Multimedia and NTUC Media Co-operative. SPH holds 80 per cent and NTUC Media holds the remaining 20 per cent.

Mr Zainul will, at the same time, be appointed as a consultant to SPH's book publishing arm, the Straits Times Press (STP).

The former People's Action Party MP has held prominent positions in the Government and trade union movement.

He was senior minister of state for foreign affairs until May this year, when he and his teammates lost their seats in Aljunied GRC in the general election.

Before that, he was general manager (International) at NTUC FairPrice Cooperative, as well as the executive secretary of the Singapore Port Workers' Union in 1997 and 1998.

The appointment also means that Mr Zainul is returning to his journalism career.

He was the editor of Malay-language newspaper Berita Harian, associate editor of The Straits Times and editor of The Sunday Times in the period between 1976 and 1996.

SPH's acting chairman, Professor Cham Tao Soon, said: "Mr Zainul has wide political, community and business contacts, which will serve UnionWorks and STP well.

"We especially value his business experience and acumen, and we are confident that UnionWorks will continue to grow and expand under his guidance."

On his appointment, Mr Zainul said: "I look forward to working with the UnionWorks board and management to grow 91.3 FM and 100.3 FM beyond their current listenership and become Singaporeans' popular choice for English and Chinese radio channels. I also look forward to contributing to SPH's book publishing business."